Friday, December 16, 2011

To FB or Not to FB, THAT is the Question...


For only five short, bold, beautiful minutes. Unscripted and unedited. We just write without worrying if it’s just right or not.



Today's Word:  Connected

GO

One of my very dear friends, the one I share the pear tattoo on my foot with, decided last year to delete her Facebook account.  Her reasoning?  It made life more impersonal.  Birthdays are filled with meaningless wall posts instead of cards and phone calls.  Couples are FBing each other across the room instead of talking.  Family members are lurking on your page instead of asking how you are.  I see her point, but I feel this is how the times are.

If we go back twenty years, FB was around, it just wasn't called that.  Birthday cards were the wall posts.  You might get a card in the mail, but all it is is a Hallmark signed by your Aunt Betty.  Nothing personal....  Couples, especially those just starting in their relationships, passed notes to each other.  Remember how we all used to fold those into little puzzle squares?  ...And family members lurked in their own ways.  They meddled in your affairs by gossiping about what is going on in your life, and those "affairs" they speak of are ones that they "heard through the grapevine."

To me, Facebook makes connecting so much easier.  I don't like to talk on the phone.  I feel awkward and don't know how to talk.  In fact, I feel that way quite often about talking in person too.  I call it "socially awkward".  I've always talked and communicated better through writing.  Facebook has given me the opportunity to develop relationships so that I do end up feeling comfortable "irl" ("in real life" if you aren't into the computer age shorthand) when talking to them.  My good friend, Erica, is a great example of this.  We've known each other for years, but never talked until about a year ago over Facebook.  Now she's one of my favorite friends to do things with and lean on when I need a shoulder to cry on and to be there when she needs one too.  Plus, I love her kids and her family.  They've adopted me in a sense and it makes me very happy to be able to enjoy events with these people instead of feeling like I don't belong.

I like to share my photos, my goings-on, my writing, my sense of humor, my actual real life and not a through-the-grapevine rumor, with all of my friends and family.  And I like to be part of theirs as well.  

I'm sad that my friend left FB because now I get bulk emails that she sends to her entire family, links to a third party online album to view pictures of her kids, and I feel obligated to get on Twitter to follow her feed, but I have to sift through all the celebrities I check up on when I am bored (and that's like once a month really).

So connect away, my dears!  You don't know who is smiling because they see your pictures and posts every day!

STOP

10 comments:

  1. Thank you!!!
    I agree; while FB is a different kind of connectedness, it's one that I have come to love.

    It's not for everyone, and with those who choose to avoid it I will still connect in more traditional ways. But if we're FB friends, I really do enjoy seeing what's on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you've found facebook to be a tool that helps you connect. It's been that for me, too, though it's also been difficult to keep it in balance - to make sure it's a tool that I use to get to that IRL moment with someone. But the work to keep things in balance is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the post!!! And, I love Trina's response about balance. I fight balance all the time! Not just the time I spend on facebook. Its a struggle at times to NOT be reactive to the negatives. Thank you for sharing this. So good!

    <3 Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know there is a lot said about FB but I love it and the way I can stay connected with friends far away. I've moved all my life (internationally) and it is the only way to keep in touch with mail so unreliable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok...fess up...either you type REALLY fast or that was more than 5 minutes! It's okay...I've cheated before too. :)

    I love facebook! It does allow me to say Happy Birthday to people whom I may not normally say it to or know it was their birthday! It is our choice how engaged or disengaged we are through the Social Media. I do believe it is a way to "stay in touch" and not connect. Connecting does need to be more personal. AND agreed...how different is it to do a mass email? It all depends on how you use it, and maybe your friend did do the "replacement".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally confess, I write until I'm done. Usually its 7 to 10 minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Facebook can be as your friend described, but it is up to each of us who use it to make our connections online - tangible and real and actually present in our lives. I love your post. Happy Friday. Nics

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you have spotted the less technological ways in which Facebook habits have evolved from - these things didn't arise out of nowhere! There are always negative ways to use any technology, whether a pen or a keyboard.
    (PS Great reminder to be nice with comments!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Off subject a bit, but I LOVE your site! The font is totally cool.

    I understand your friend's reasoning for deleting her FB page. It is so easy to maintain shallow relationships with people because somehow you tend to believe you are more connected with them than you really are because you're getting minute by minute coverage of what's going on in their life. I caught myself relying more on FB to keep up with what was going on with friends that by actual face time. Trina was definitely on point with the balance thing.

    But I do really love FB. I can keep in touch with people I'd never get to see otherwise and I love seeing pictures of my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! You speak my mind. I agree with every single word you said. It's true. And do you know what? I"m like you. In real life I can't talk or make any friendships but over the net like in facebook I can talk easily. Specially when I got time to think and write back. I don't just have to say it right away like in real conversation.

    Also, I got a same story like yours. I got this girl who studied with me ever since we were in elementary school, we even finished high school together but never said anything more then: "Hi! How are you?!" After connecting her on facebook I started talking easily and I'm truly grateful for facebook for opening such opportunity in my life.

    Love your post every much.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, or thou shalt be banished!