Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Goal

Now that I'm feeling better about myself and my medications are on an even keel...and life is going to be hectic for the next couple of months (at least), it's time to take advantage of that and work towards a goal.  It is essential for me to lose weight!  I am at my heaviest, and I am having more problems with my body than ever before from my back to my knees to my feet.  I'm always in pain.  Not to mention, I hate what I look like.  Remember me shopping for a bridesmaids dress for my sister's wedding?  It didn't stop there as I still have to buy clothes and bras every so often, and it's so discouraging to not be able to find things that fit/look good.

So I shall take a journey...and if I use my blog to stay accountable, maybe I will actually do it this time.  I need help though.  Please cheer me on?

First things first, my weight...should I or should I not disclose it?  I suppose full disclosure means fully committing to this...but it's so hard to admit what I have done to myself.  To make myself feel better, I shall remind myself how I got here: having four children and medications causing increased appetites.  There I feel better.  Ok, here goes...

Starting weight:  211 lbs

Now let's make a goal.  Ideally, I would like to be down to my pre-pregnancy weight for Annie (my first child), which is 130.  This happens to be on the higher side of the ideal weight for my height (5'5",113-138 lbs).  BUT realistically, I'm happy with a much healthier 150.  So...

Weight Loss Goal: 61 lbs

How will I do this?

I'm planning on eating a lot more fresh foods instead of pre-processed junk.  Fruits and vegetables are high on my list.  I need to turn to them when I feel like snacking.  One of my new favorites are grape tomatoes.  When I walk into the kitchen feeling like I need a snack, I will typically grab 3 or 4 of them and return to what I am doing happy and proud of myself for choosing a good snack.

Say, "Bye-Bye" to fast food!  Maybe not entirely, but over the last few months I have been taking advantage of the fact that I don't have to get out of my car or make an effort to get food.  I definitely need to cut back quite a bit!

Water water water!  I've always been pretty good at this so it shouldn't be too hard.  I'm choosing to drink water instead of anything else.

Carbs?  Oh carbs, how I love thee!  My sister is diabetic (type 1) and has to constantly watch her carbs.  When I was visiting her a couple weeks ago, I started realizing how many carbs I am constantly eating.  I love bread and pasta and sugar!  This is going to be a hard one, but I need to not have 3 rolls with dinner and stick to one, skip cereals for breakfast and have some eggs, and for God's sake, I do NOT need a Snickers as a reward for eating a salad! This will definitely be my biggest challenge...

Exercise...this is difficult!  Last September, I went to the doctor because my feet were so painful that I could barely walk.  This started about a year earlier.  Turns out I have developed neuromas in both my feet.  Neuromas are nerve tumors in the ball of your foot.  So very painful!  Through the winter, I was wearing sneakers for the most part and they got significantly better, but now that it's summer again and my feet get claustrophobic, I'm back in sandals and flip flops, causing my feet to ache quite a bit.  But regardless of my footwear, if I walk or run a long distance it hurts like hell!  So walking and running are not good for me.  Swimming is my favorite, with biking a close second.  Now the obstacle is getting the time from the kids to go do it.  Maybe I'll tackle food before I start an exercise routine (which will mean the kids will be in school by then, and I will have the time to do it).

Ok, enough rambling about what I am going to do and just do it!

1 comment:

  1. I had neuromas, as well, and the surgery was very successful for me. However, my mom wears the orthotics, and gets relief that way. The thing to remember is, claustrophobic or not, you are causing more damage by wearing those shoes! Find sandals with lots of arch support as a compromise. Also, I've heard that Lyrica is a good solution for foot pain management caused by neuromas, so that might be something you could ask your doc about.

    Andrew lost 30 lbs, and I lost 20 lbs earlier this year, and myfitnesspal.com was a great help. You have support from your new fitness friends cheering on your accomplishments daily and weekly and it provides a great way to track food and exercise.

    Andrew and I love to bike, as well, but when it's super cold or raining, we had an excuse not to go, so we got a stationary bike and use it when it's not feasible to go outside (might be a good way for you to exercise without leaving the kiddos).

    Remember, it's a daily battle full opportunities for good decisions at every turn. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, or thou shalt be banished!