Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thankful for the Little Things

Every November, Facebook turns into one big lovefest.  It's the "in thing" to post each day with something you are thankful for.  Last year, I wrote a letter each day to those I wanted to show appreciation to and posted them as notes on Facebook for all to read.  I got really mushy gushy, sentimental, and intimate, more often than not making myself cry as I was writing them.  I think I quit after like the 15th letter though because I couldn't think of anyone else to include.

Yesterday, November 1st, I saw the "thankful statuses" begin.  First, I was like, "Why are they doing this already?!"  Then I realized what the date was.  I think I was still stuck in my Halloween candy hangover.  Then I got annoyed.  I swear I see the same things over and over again..."Today I am thankful for my family"...."Today I am thankful for my job"....  Yes yes, these are all valid things to be thankful for, but I'm bored.  Have yah'll noticed how easily I get bored?

I kind of jokingly put up this status so I could join in and be one of the cool people:
I'm thankful that Luke's mom made him get a new pillow today. *shutter* *gag* Throwing that old one away! ;)

I was just being a smart ass, but it got me thinkin'.  We should be thankful for little things too, right?  When I'm having a shitty day and I think, "EVERYTHING today has gone wrong," I rewind and take a moment to think of some things that went right.  Sometimes its the smallest of things, "I had a 5 minute shower before my kids came screeching into the bathroom"..."I got a handful of M&M's today"...."I didn't get any bills in the mail"..."A line on Phineas and Ferb made me laugh"....  These little things bring me out of that mood where I think everything went wrong so then everything from that point on is met with contention and therefore does, in fact, go wrong.  The little things are important!

So although I am thankful for my kids, my husband, my parents, my in-laws, my friends, my ability to eat and be sheltered, etc, I'm also thankful for the little things like:

  • yarn
  • jammies and slippers
  • Nutella (thanks to Carrie for bringing that up this morning)
  • cartoons
  • Pandora Radio
  • the wooden swing in our backyard
  • sharpie markers
  • the smell of campfires
  • Halloween costumes for my dogs
  • super hot bubbly baths
  • new undies
  • Geico commercials
  • postcards from Sally and Sophia
  • really strong magnets on my fridge
  • Spider Solitaire
  • sweet tea
  • surprise pictures of my bestie's Caden with the message, "Happy Wednesday"
  • sneeze farts (What?! They just make me laugh!)
  • Ernie's tail
  • pretty painted toenails
  • my big fuzzy brown blanket
  • Jason Mraz, John Mayer, and Michael Buble
  • the fact that FB has a pirate language setting
  • flip flops
Go on, go make a list of your own!  It will make you smile and appreciate everyday stuff on a day that you thought was all wrong.



1 comment:

  1. Ahhh these made me smile! Especially being thankful for 'Halloween costumes for my dogs' haha!
    I posted a similar thankful status this week - I didn;t even realise the timing of it. Actually, I didn't realise that the Thankful letters you wrote last year were a Fb thing, I just though they were a 'Taylor' thing. Anyway, I was truly thankful for my letter xx xx

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, or thou shalt be banished!